The pull-down exercise is a strength training exercise designed to develop the latissimus dorsi muscle. It performs the functions of downward rotation and depression of the scapulae combined with adduction and extension of the shoulder joint.
- Adjust the seat so shoulders are lined up with the shoulder marker decal
- Adjust thigh pad for stabilization during the exercise
- Select the desired weight. It is best not to use a weight too heavy that will cause you to lean back when pulling the overhead bar, as this movement can cause lower back injury
- Grasp handles and sit with thighs under the pad
- Pull the handles down until elbows are by your sides and hands are approximately level with shoulders.
Repeat the movement for the desired number of repetitions. Do two to three sets of this exercise, resting 30 to 60 seconds between sets.